Friday, 16 March 2012

Tying up ends

Well, The first firing is about a month away and  yesterday was spent with Rob collecting four bundles of hardwood edgings which are now stacked undercover. The rest of the wood for the firing (about 8 palletts of pine edgings), is hopefully coming the week after next, so fuel gathering is well underway.

I've also started laying the floor and grate, all the whole bricks are layed and now I've got to start cutting filler bricks. This will be done the week after next as I'm busy doing other things next week. The steel uprights should also be finished next week so again week after next I should be able to get the bulk of it done.

  As the firing gets closer and seeing the inside of the kiln taking shape, I'm starting to be able to visualise how the kiln might be packed. Exciting stuff!

Monday, 5 March 2012

A taste of spring

Last Wednesday with the help of Alex and Robin,  3rd year students on the 3DD programme, we got the insulation layer onto the kiln. A 4 to 5" layer springing from the side insulation blocks covering the whole arch. It was an ideal day for doing the job, warm and sunny which made the mixing and spreading the 2 tons of mix slightly more enjoyable. Now just waiting for the metalwork to be completed and I can then bolt and cement it in place.

I'm now well into making work for the first firing. Starting with the largest pieces and working down, there's one more large composite vessel to make and then i'll start on the smaller pieces, I've already been making new platters and bowls which are being bisc fired at the moment.